Originally constructed in 1694, the temple has been renovated many
times, and now consists of a great hall with three bays and four wings.
The temple was reconstructed most recently during the Japanese colonial
period. The exquisite carvings and Eight-diagrams plafond ceilings were
the pride of the Cyuanjhou craftsmen who created them.
This temple is dedicated to the Goddess Matsu, and there are more
than 30 images of the goddess in the main hall alone. The most revered
of these is the "Jhendian Matsu" - the largest - in the center
of the hall and the "Meijhou Matsu" - the smallest. The big
pilgrimage season lasts from the Lunar New Year until the third lunar
month. Pilgrimage activities culminate in Matsu's birthday on the 23rd
day of the third lunar month, which is the temple's greatest annual festival.