Cheng Cheng-kung (Koxinga) renamed this fort "Mansion Bestowed
by Heaven" and made it his center of government after driving out
the Dutch. It was abandoned at the time of Chu Yi-kui's rebellion, and
soon thereafter damaged by an earthquake. The external wall and the raised
terrace were the only remaining parts. The Haishen Temple and the Wenchang
Pavilion on the terrace were built during the late 1800's.
Among the most extraordinary historic objects at the Chihkan Tower
are the stone turtle tablets bestowed by the Cianlong (Qianlong) Emperor (1736~1796)
to General Fu Kang-an. The inscriptions on the turtles commend Fu Kang-an
for suppressing the Lin Shuang-wen rebellion. The inscriptions are in
parallel Chinese and Manchu, which makes the turtles quite unusual among
tablets in Taiwan.